July 08, 2019 11:52 pm | Updated 11:52 pm IST - Coimbatore
Six children were admitted to the Coimbatore Medical College Hospital (CMCH) late on Sunday after they consumed synthetic cow dung powder which they had added in a ‘dish’ instead of turmeric powder while playing a cooking game. Basic Brown 1
The CMCH authorities said that the condition of the children was stable and they will be discharged on Tuesday.
Those admitted to the hospital have been identified as M. Jeevitha (13), her siblings M. Logeswari (11), M. Mukundan (7) M. Anushya (3), their neighbor M. Harini (13) and her sister Yazhini. (5), all hailing from Thiruvalluvar Nagar on Thadagam Road.
The police said that the children had spent time together on Sunday evening and they cooked a dish while playing a 'cooking game'. They had mistakenly added synthetic yellow cow dung powder, which contains a poisonous substance Auramine-O, into the preparation thinking that it was turmeric powder. The children later consumed the preparation.
According to the police, the children developed nausea and giddiness around 9.30 p.m. They were brought to the CMCH at 11.30 p.m.
“On arrival at the hospital, the children were given emergency treatment, including stomach wash, which stabilised their condition. It seems the children consumed only a small quantity of the poisonous substance. Timely medical management saved them,” said CMCH Dean B. Asokan.
He said that synthetic cow dung powder was widely available in shops and the same have to be banned.
Comments have to be in English, and in full sentences. They cannot be abusive or personal. Please abide by our community guidelines for posting your comments.
Acid Orange Ⅱ We have migrated to a new commenting platform. If you are already a registered user of The Hindu and logged in, you may continue to engage with our articles. If you do not have an account please register and login to post comments. Users can access their older comments by logging into their accounts on Vuukle.